Searching Burial and Urn/Plaque Information
- Search the Nationwide Gravesite Locator (NGL) for burial locations of Veterans and their family members in VA national cemeteries, state veterans cemeteries, various other military and Department of Interior cemeteries, and for Veterans buried in private cemeteries when the grave is marked with a government grave marker.
- Search the NGL for Veterans that received an urn or plaque benefit from VA.
- The urn/plaque records from VA and the burial records from many sources are updated daily.
- The sources provide varied data; some searches may contain less information than others. Information on Veterans buried in private cemeteries was collected for the purpose of furnishing government grave markers and we do not have information available for burials prior to 1997.
How to Report Incorrect Information
- Incorrect information can be corrected, but we are unable to add to the information contained in the existing record. For more complete information concerning individual records, we suggest you contact the cemetery or local officials.
- If your search returns incorrect information about a Veteran or family member buried in a national cemetery, please contact the cemetery directly to discuss your findings.
- To report incorrect information about a Veteran that received an urn or plaque benefit or a Veteran buried in a private cemetery, contact us online through Ask VA. Names cannot be added to the listing if a government grave marker was not furnished for the grave or if the existing government grave marker was furnished prior to 1997.
How to Submit a Burial Location Request
American Battle Monuments Commission provides info on service members buried in overseas cemeteries.
If you cannot locate the person you are searching for, please provide the following information on each individual:
- Full name, including any alternate spellings
- Date and place of birth
- Date and place of death
- State from which the individual entered active duty
- Military service branch
Most requests take approximately four weeks for a reply. Be sure to include your return mailing address, phone number or e-mail address with your request and send it to:
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
National Cemetery Administration (43A1)
Burial Location Request
810 Vermont Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20420