Not A VA Grant Funded Cemetery:
The State has not applied for and received a VA grant to establish, expand or improve this veterans cemetery. The cemetery is owned and operated by a state.
VA Grant Funded Cemetery:
- Grants are used only to establish, expand or improve veterans cemeteries that are owned and operated by a state. Aid is granted only to states, not to private organizations, counties, cities, or other government agencies.
- VA can provide up to 100 percent of the development cost for an approved project. For establishment of new cemeteries, VA can provide for operating equipment as well. VA cannot pay for acquisition of land.
- Cemeteries established under the grant program must conform to the standards and guidelines pertaining to site selection, planning, and construction prescribed by VA.
- Cemeteries must be operated solely for the interment of service members who die on active duty, veterans (as defined by federal law), and their eligible spouses and dependent children. States may impose residency requirements and other limitations to eligibility in addition to those imposed by federal law. State eligibility requirements, however, may not be less stringent than Federal requirements.
- The administration, operation, and maintenance of a VA-supported state cemetery is solely the responsibility of the state.