Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Connect with NCA

Subscribe to Receive
Email Updates

Find a Cemetery

Mobile Gravesite Locator

On the go?
Try the Mobile Gravesite Locator!

National Cemetery Administration


Order a Headstone, Marker or Medallion for a Veteran Buried in a Private Cemetery

Headstone, Marker and Medallion Application Process

The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 38.632 "Headstone and Marker Application Process" became effective on July 1, 2009. This regulation describes the processes required to apply for a Government headstone and marker, as well as request a new emblem of belief be added to the list of emblems available for inscription on headstones and markers.

Who Can Apply for a Headstone, Marker or Medallion?

Under 38 CFR 38.600 (Definitions), only the following individuals may apply for a headstone, marker or medallion:

1) a decedent’s family member;
2) a personal representative;
3) a representative of a Congressionally-chartered Veterans Service Organization;
4) an employee of a state or local government whose official responsibilities include serving veterans;
5) any individual who is responsible, under the laws of a state or locality, for the disposition of unclaimed remains or matters related to the decedent’s interment or memorialization; or
6) any individual, if the dates of service of the veteran ended prior to April 6, 1917.

Note: For a memorial headstones and markers that commemorate the memory of an eligible individual, the applicant must be a member of the decedent’s family.

Burial in a Private Cemetery

VA Form 40-1330, Claim for Standard Government Headstone or Marker or VA Form 40-1330M, Claim for Government Medallion must be submitted by the next of kin, a person authorized in writing by the NOK, or a personal representative authorized in writing by the decedent, along with Veterans military discharge documents, to request a Government-provided headstone or marker. Do not send original documents, as they will not be returned.

Ordering a Headstone or Marker in a National, Post, or State Veterans Cemetery

When burial or memorialization is in a national, post, or state Veterans' cemetery, a headstone or marker will be ordered by the cemetery officials based on inscription information provided by the next of kin.