Office Hours: Monday thru Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Closed federal holidays except Memorial Day and Veterans Day.
Visitation Hours: Open daily from sunrise to sunset.
This cemetery has space available to accommodate casketed and cremated remains.
Cemetery is located on the Southern edge of Lebanon, Kentucky.
From Louisville International Airport take Interstate 65 North to Highway 245 South. Follow Highway 245 South to Highway 150 East. Follow Highway 150 East to Highway 55 South. Follow Highway 55 South to Highway 208 South. Follow Highway 208 South to the cemetery.
From the North: Take Interstate 65 South to Highway 245 South. Follow Highway 245 South to Highway 150 East. Follow Highway 150 East to Highway 55 South. Follow Highway 55 South to Maple Street. Turn right at Maple Street and continue to Highway 68, which is Main Street. Turn right at Main Street and continue to Highway 208. Turn left at Highway 208 and cemetery is directly ahead 1/2 mile. From the South: Take Interstate 65 North to Highway 245 South and repeat the directions noted above.
From the East: Take Interstate 64 West to Highway 68 South. Take Highway 68 to Highway 208 and turn left at Highway 208. Cemetery is located 1/2 mile ahead.
From the West: Take the Bluegrass Parkway heading northeast and exit at Highway 150 going east. Take Highway 150 East to Highway 55 South. Follow Highway 55 South to Maple Street. Turn right at Maple Street and continue to Highway 68 (Main Street). Turn right at Main Street and continue to Highway 208. Turn left at Highway 208 and cemetery is 1/2 mile ahead.
Fax all discharge documentation to the National Cemetery Scheduling Office at 1-866-900-6417 and follow-up with a phone call to 1-800-535-1117.
This cemetery is supervised by the Kentucky National Cemetery Complex. Please call 270-692-3390 for further information. In the event of an emergency and you are unable to reach Lebanon National Cemetery office, please call Camp Nelson National Cemetery at 859-885-5727, and someone will assist you.
back to top
Lebanon National Cemetery is not responsible for any items left at gravesites.
Floral arrangements (up to six arrangements) accompanying the casket or urn at the time of burial will be placed on the completed gravesite by cemetery staff. They will be removed when they become unsightly or when it becomes necessary to facilitate cemetery operations, such as mowing.
Natural cut flowers may be placed on graves at any time of the year. They will be removed and disposed of when they become unsightly.
Temporary metal containers, provided by the cemetery, are available at various sites on the cemetery grounds. Please limit one per gravesite. Cemetery provided floral containers are the only floral containers allowed in the cemetery Perma-vases are not permitted, nor are they sold at Lebanon National Cemetery.
Artificial flowers and/or potted plants, in unbreakable containers (cardboard, plastic, metal), are permitted on gravesites from October 10 until April 15. They will also be permitted on graves 10 days before and 10 days after Easter Sunday and Memorial Day.
Items are subject to removal on the first and third Fridays during mowing season, and depending on the added frequency of mowing more often, up to twice a week. Depending on the growing season, artificial flowers/ potted plants may have to be removed to accommodate the early mowing season, up to twice per week.
Christmas wreaths, grave blankets, and related arrangements will be permitted on graves from Dec. 1 until Jan. 20. Grave floral blankets may not be larger than 2 x 3 feet, please do not wrap them in plastic, as it destroys the turf.
Floral items and other decorations may be secured in place (in the ground) by the donor. They may not be attached to headstones or markers. Floral "stands" and "saddles" are prohibited.
Unauthorized decorations such as permanent plantings, statues, vigil lights, upright metal flag holders, and breakable objects of any kind and similar commemorative items are not permitted on the gravesites or on the monuments.
Understanding that families may desire to keep certain floral arrangements, we have in place a procedure that, upon the families written request, cemetery personnel will place the arrangement in a designated location for 30 days, after which arrangements will be disposed of.
The staff at Lebanon National Cemetery want to thank you for your cooperation in helping us to maintain this cemetery as a national shrine, a final resting place of Honor and Dignity, for the veterans of this great nation.
back to top
VA regulations 38 CFR 1.218 prohibit the carrying of firearms (either openly or concealed), explosives or other dangerous or deadly weapons while on VA property, except for official purposes, such as military funeral honors. Possession of firearms on any property under the charge and control of VA is prohibited. Offenders may be subject to a fine, removal from the premises, or arrest.
back to top
Lebanon National Cemetery is located on the outskirts of the community of Lebanon in Marion County, Ky. In September 1861, Colonel John M. Harlan from Springfield, Ill., established Camp Crittenden at Lebanon and began recruiting the 10th Kentucky Infantry regiment. From November of that year, Lebanon had become the primary staging center for General George H. Thomas’ Mill Spring camp. The town remained an important Union supply depot during the Civil War, as well as a major center for Union hospitals. Even after the fighting moved south during the last two years of the war, at least one military hospital continued to operate in town. During the same period, Lebanon was a major recruiting camp for "colored troops." Over 2,053 men were recruited, the overwhelming majority of whom had been slaves in the region.
Official records indicate the U.S. government first obtained the land for the cemetery in 1862, but it was not designated a national cemetery until 1867. The original interments were the scattered remains of Union soldiers from Lebanon and the surrounding countryside. There were 865 total original interments including 281 unknowns. The original triangular tract is bounded by a stonewall and it contains an 1870s lodge occupied by the superintendent and the remains of a rostrum.
In 1984, a donation of 3.4 acres brought the cemetery to 5.8 acres. An additional donation of 9 acres brought the cemetery to its current size. The cemetery was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
back to top