National Cemetery Administration
Alexandria National Cemetery, VA
Office Hours: Monday thru Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Closed federal holidays except Memorial Day and Veterans Day.
Visitation Hours: Open daily from sunrise to sunset.
This cemetery has space available for cremated remains. We may be able to accommodate casketed remains in the same gravesite of previously interred family members.
Burial in a national cemetery is open to all members of the armed forces who have met a minimum active duty service requirement and were discharged under conditions other than dishonorable. A Veteran’s spouse, widow or widower, minor dependent children, and under certain conditions, unmarried adult children with disabilities may also be eligible for burial. Eligible spouses and children may be buried even if they predecease the Veteran. Members of the reserve components of the armed forces who die while on active duty or who die while on training duty, or were eligible for retired pay, may also be eligible for burial. For more information visit our eligibility web page.
Cemetery is located six blocks West of U.S Hwy 1 at the end of Wilkes Street in the City of Alexandria, VA. Wilkes Street may also be reached via Interstate 95, at the U.S. Hwy 1 North exit. There is a direction sign at the intersection of Washington and Gibbon Streets in Alexandria. Washington Street is part of the George Washington Memorial Parkway.
Fax all discharge documentation to the National Cemetery Scheduling Office at 1-866-900-6417 and follow-up with a phone call to 1-800-535-1117.
This cemetery is under the supervision of the Director of Quantico National Cemetery. You may contact them at:
Quantico National Cemetery
P.O. Box 10
Triangle, VA 22172
Individual gravesite flags are placed on each gravesite for Memorial Day only.
For educational materials and additional information on this cemetery, please visit the Education section, located below.
Cemetery policies are conspicuously posted and readily visible to the public.
The cemetery will provide temporary flower containers. Three floral arrangements accompanying the casket or urn at the time of burial will be placed on the completed grave. Arrangements are removed from gravesites three days after the burial or when they become withered and unsightly.
Natural cut flowers may be placed on graves at any time of the year. They will be removed when they become unsightly or when it becomes necessary to facilitate cemetery operations such as mowing.
Artificial flowers may be placed on graves only during the period of Nov. 1 through March 31. In addition, potted plants will be allowed on graves for a period extending 10 days before and 10 days after Easter Sunday.
Christmas wreaths and grave blankets may be placed on graves from Dec. 1 through Jan. 20. They may not be secured to headstones or markers, and grave floral blankets cannot be larger than two by three feet.
Items should not be attached to or affixed on any headstone or marker.
Permanent plantings, statues, pinwheels, spinners, balloons, vigil lights, breakable objects and other non-floral related items are not permitted on the graves.
The Department of Veterans Affairs does not permit adornments which are considered offensive, inconsistent with the dignity of the cemetery or considered hazardous to cemetery personnel. For example, items incorporating beads or wires may become entangled in mowers or other equipment and cause injury.
Unauthorized decorations will be removed from the grave and held by the cemetery for not less than 10 days, except following Holidays when the volume of unauthorized decorations exceeds cemetery storage capacity.
The cemetery is not responsible for the loss or deterioration of floral arrangements, potted plants, vases, or any item left at a gravesite.
Permanent or glass floral vases are not permitted.
In order to preserve the dignity, beauty and serenity of Quantico National Cemetery, we ask you to please observe the following restrictions. Thank you for your cooperation:
- Pets are not allowed on the cemetery grounds at any time.
- No soliciting.
- Sports or recreational activities of any kind are prohibited.
- No picnicking.
- Public gatherings of a partisan nature are prohibited, no unauthorized gatherings are permitted. Committal shelters should be used for services only.
- Do not litter. Please use one of the many receptacles provided.
- Smoking is not allowed in any building or the committal shelter. Please dispose of cigarette filters in the designated receptacles.
- No cutting, digging or otherwise damaging the landscape.
- Boisterous activity, including the playing of loud music, is prohibited.
- Altering a headstone or marker in any manner is prohibited. (i.e., marking, sitting on, placing objects upon, or attaching photographs or keepsakes to, etc.)
- Please do not park on the grass.
VA regulations 38 CFR 1.218 prohibit the carrying of firearms (either openly or concealed), explosives or other dangerous or deadly weapons while on VA property, except for official purposes, such as military funeral honors. Possession of firearms on any property under the charge and control of VA is prohibited. Offenders may be subject to a fine, removal from the premises, or arrest.
Alexandria National Cemetery is located near the Old Town section of Alexandria, Va., amid several other community cemeteries. The original cemetery consisted of approximately four acres known as Spring Garden Farm. Most of this land was acquired by the United States in the 1860s, and by November 1870 the cemetery had reached its current size of a little over five acres.
Alexandria was one of the principal campsites for Union soldiers sent to defend Washington, D.C., at the outbreak of the Civil War. These troops, composed primarily of “three-month volunteers,” were unprepared for the demands of war. When they tried to turn the Southern advance at Bull Run, they were decisively defeated and hastily retreated back to Washington. At one point in the war, General Robert E. Lee and his Southern troops rode the outskirts of Alexandria where they were close enough to view the Capital dome. As the tide of the war turned, especially after Gettysburg, the frontlines of the war moved west and away from Washington, D.C. The fortress area at Alexandria, however, continued to serve as a major supply and replacement center throughout the remainder of the war.
Alexandria National Cemetery is one of the original 14 national cemeteries established in 1862. The first burials made in the cemetery were soldiers who died during training or from disease in the numerous hospitals around Alexandria. By 1864, the cemetery was nearly filled to capacity, which eventually led to the planning, development and construction of Arlington National Cemetery.
As of 1871, Alexandria National Cemetery encompassed a cobblestone avenue, a fountain, an ornate wrought-iron rostrum, graveled walks and paths, a small pond and a greenhouse. Today, the superintendent’s lodge is the primary building on the grounds and the oldest surviving structure. It was constructed of reddish Seneca sandstone and brick around 1870. Seneca sandstone was popular during Washington, D.C.’s, “brownstone era” (1840-1880), and can be found in many of the region’s prominent buildings, including the Smithsonian Institution “Castle,” and the U.S. Capitol floor and rotunda door frames. U.S. Quartermaster General Montgomery C. Meigs designed the lodge in a Second French Empire style; approximately 55 of these lodges were constructed in national cemeteries between 1870 and the end of the century.
The original 1887 “comfort station” at Alexandria was converted into a kitchen/store room and tool shed/toilet when a brick summer dining room was added in 1927. Although significantly altered, the old comfort station is one of few structures like these to survive. The 16-foot ornamental iron rostrum with a capacity to hold 24 chairs and one table was demolished sometime after 1931. An enclosure wall constructed of Seneca sandstone with River Blue Stone coping surrounds the property; visitors pass through 12-foot wide ornamental cast-iron entry gates at the Wilkes Street entrance.
During the 1930s, the Civilian Works Administration (CWA) made general repairs to the lodge and outbuildings and erected a new flagpole. Alexandria National Cemetery was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.
Monuments and Memorials
One large granite boulder memorial was erected by the U.S. government on July 7, 1922, in honor of the Pursuers of President Lincoln’s Assassin. The four men were Quartermaster Corps employees who drowned in the Potomac River on April 24, 1865, while pursuing John Wilkes Booth.
Private L. J. Cook, Company H, 9 US Cav, Section B Grave 3560
Corporal Lorenzo Foster, Company C, 10 US Cav, Section B Grave 3581
Private George Foster, Company C, 10 US Cav, Section B Grave 3565
Private John T. Stevenson, Company E, 10 USCT Cav, Section B Grave 3592
Musn. Joseph F. Whelen, Company LLG, 24 US Inf, Section B Grave 3606
Educational content is being developed for this national cemetery. New materials will be posted when the information becomes available. For additional information on the Veterans Legacy Program or the NCA History Program, please visit the web page for the Veterans Legacy Program and the NCA History page. Thank you for your interest in learning about the National Cemetery Administration.